“The first duty of society is justice”
– Alexander Hamilton
We believe in crime victim advocacy, and that crime victim advocacy is the best way for victims of crime to secure meaningful justice. In our firm crime victim advocacy means guiding our clients who have been the victims of a crime through each and every step of the criminal and civil legal systems, serving as a resource for needed support services and advocating for their interests in court.
How we can help:
- Guidance and advocacy throughout any criminal proceedings
- Crime victims are not allowed an active role in criminal proceedings against the person accused of committing the crime against them. They are afforded certain rights by Florida law, including the right to be kept informed, but usually do not have any meaningful involvement or say in those proceedings. We advocate for our clients in the criminal justice system, whether that be by conferring with the prosecution about the status of the case or organizing or requesting an opportunity for our client to make a formal statement to the court, sometimes called a victim impact statements. We strive to help our clients navigate the complex and often times traumatic experience of participating as a victim in the criminal justice system.
- Serve as a resource for supportive services
- We strive to be a resource for our clients in securing the supportive services they need in the wake of a crime against them. We have partnered with the Coordinated Victims Assistance Center in Miami-Dade County, which offers victims of crime access to a variety of support resources in our community.
- Initiate civil action
- The civil legal system offers crime victims a way to seek justice against those who have wronged them in a way that is personal, and directly beneficial to them. Crime victim advocacy means informing our clients of all of their options, including the option of filing a civil lawsuit to compensate them for their injuries, medical bills, and physical and mental pain and suffering.
If you or someone you know has been the victim of a crime the civil legal system may give you the platform to assert your rights and be compensated for your injuries or suffering. The Law Office of Robert N. Pelier, P.A. not only has decades of experience in civil law, but is also devoted to helping victims of crime in our South Florida community.